Which “Support Harness” is Best for My Dog?
by Tracie Grubb, DVM, CCRT, cVMA
COMMON QUESTIONS WHEN CONSIDERING A HARNESS:
- My senior dog is weak or stumbling on one or more limbs.
- My dog has hip dysplasia and is losing muscle on his back legs.
- My dog just had surgery (back, neck, knee, etc…). How do I help him without hurting him?
These are just a few of the questions I hear daily. Let’s focus on harnesses that support your pet’s mobility while reducing stress on your own body.
I look at a number of factors when choosing a harness:
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Ability to use during rehabilitation exercise treatments, underwater treadmill, etc…
- Easy to clean.
- Doesn’t cause stress or strain in other body parts.
- Help Em Up Harness http://www.helpemup.com
- Gingerlead http://www.gingerlead.com
- A wide variety of “slings” are also available online or through your veterinarian.
Always consult your veterinarian and/or your rehabilitation professional for guidance. We are here to help you make the best decisions for your beloved companions.